When importing key material, you can specify the expiration time. After the key material expires, KMS deletes it, and the status of the CMK changes to Pending import. You can manually delete the key material as needed. The effect of expiration of the key material is the same as that of manual deletion of the key material.
This section describes how to delete imported key material on the management console.
- After the key material is deleted, if you need to re-import the key material, the key material to be imported must be the same as that has been deleted.
- After the same key material is re-imported, you can use the CMK to decrypt all data encrypted using this key before deletion.
- You have obtained an account and its password for logging in to the management console.
- You have imported the key material for a CMK.
- The material source of the CMK is External.
- The CMK status is Enabled or Disabled.
- Log in to the management console.
- Click in the upper left corner of the management console and select a region or project.
- Choose Key Management Service page is displayed.. The
- In the row containing the desired CMK, click Delete Key Material.
- In the dialog box that is displayed, click OK. When Key material deleted successfully is displayed in the upper right corner, the key material is successfully deleted.
After the deletion, the CMK will become unavailable and its status changes to Pending import.