A disk attached to a BMS can be detached.
- Disks attached to /dev/sda function as system disks and cannot be detached from the BMS.
- Disks attached to any mount point other than /dev/sda function as data disk and can be detached from the BMS, irrespective of whether the BMS is running or stopped.
Restrictions and Limitations
- Before detaching a data disk from a running Windows BMS, ensure that no program is reading data from or writing data to the disk. Otherwise, data will be lost.
- Before detaching a data disk from a running Linux BMS, you must log in to the BMS and run the umount command to cancel the association between the disk and the file system. In addition, ensure that no program is reading data from or writing data to the disk. Otherwise, detaching the disk will fail.
- Log in to the management console.
- Under Computing, click Bare Metal Server.
- Click the name of the BMS from which the disk is to be detached. The page showing details of the BMS is displayed.
- Click the Disks tab. Locate the row containing the disk to be detached and click Detach.